PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2012, 22:57
aerobelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about Lafayette?

"1965
The year started with a decision the board of directors was soon to regret. It happened this way.

SFO Helicopters was engaged in the business of transporting passengers from various outlying areas to Bay Area airports. A stop in central Contra Costa had long been desired, and a suitable location was found just east of Lafayette's Hillside Motel. The necessary public hearing was scheduled.

In fairness to the LIA directors it should be explained that the matter was considered at the end of a long and busy evening. Several individuals pointed out the convenience of "copter" service. The noise factor was discussed, but since the normal flight path was to be over the nearby reservoir, no great problem was anticipated.

As instructed, the board's representative supported the application at the planning commission hearing, and the permit was subsequently granted by the board of supervisors. It was soon apparent that a "monster" had been created. The FAA-approved flight path was over the downtown area and close to residential Dolores Drive and Via Roble, whose residents were practically blasted out of their homes.

The Association promptly registered its disapproval and worked hard to get the offensive operation moved, but this took a considerable period of time.*

*In July 1966 the board of supervisors decreed a two-year phase-out. This initiated a desperate search for another suitable location. None could be found, however, and following the last flights to Lafayette on July 19, 1968, the operation moved to Buchanan Field. This was by no means as convenient for Central County users, so patronage declined below the level required for continued operation. SFO Helicopters ultimately went out of business, to the great regret of many regular air travelers."

Even further off-thread :- In 1977 I bought a new VW Scirocco in New Jersey. But after looking at the Westmoreland quality when I wanted to replace it 3 years later I went for a Made-in-Germany Audi.

'b