PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 12th Oct 2012, 21:45
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never spun a Cirrus.

However I am not sure your appraisal is entirely complete.

i. Test Matrix. A limited investigation of the SR20 spin behavior has been completed and results are contained in Cirrus Design reports 12419, title, and 15568, title. The incipient spin and recovery characteristics were examined during more than 60 total spin entries covering the following configurations.
So while limited, the Cirrus has been spun, and in every one of these cases the test pilot recovered within one turn. The conclusion was that while recovery cannot be assured in all circumstances the spin characteristics are not exceptional BUT equally the recovery technique is not typical of types used for spin training.

Personally given the spin training undertaken by most pilots I doubt many would do that good a job of recovering any aircraft from a fully developed spin. When I started flying aerobatics I will happily admit that I had very little idea what the h*** was going on and found the whole experience quite disconcerting.

Without training (and I don't mean having a couple of spins demonstrated to you in the distance past of your PPL training) I think spins should be avoided at all cost. With proper training I suspect most pilots would do no worse and no better a job of recovering a Cirrus. (but I have no assured basis for making that assertion other than reading Cirrus's report referred to above).

Would I intentionally spin a Cirrus - hell no, its not certified for spinning, would I attempt to recover from a spin, yes if I had sufficient height I would, but I have to admit I cant recall whether chute deployment is thought to be in any way possibly compromised from a fully developed flat spin. I must check.

Last edited by Fuji Abound; 12th Oct 2012 at 21:53.