PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 12th Oct 2012, 21:18
goldeneaglepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That does not mean the Cirrus does not spin and recover from spinning pretty much like most other GA aircraft
That's an interesting observation. Please tell us more about your experiences spinning aircraft and how you have arrived at that conclusion?

Have you ever spun the SR22 or variants?

If the aircraft exhibited normal spin charecteristics why not get it fully certified without the extra cost and payload of a ballistic chute?

Its interesting to see what others have wrote about the SR22 and spins:

Once in a spin the SR20 and SR22 are virtually impossible to recover, according to the test pilots. Remember that spin testing in certification is done with a special tail parachute for breaking the spin that can then be cut away inflight. NASA puts this best:
"Because unrecoverable spins may be encountered during initial aircraft stall/spin flight tests, spin test aircraft are commonly equipped with emergency spin-recovery parachute systems, which can be deployed to terminate the spinning motion and reduce the aircraft angle of attack to below stall conditions. The parachute is then jettisoned by the pilot and conventional flight resumed."
http://oea.larc.nasa.gov/PAIS/Concep...echnology.html (contains some photos of spin-recovery parachutes)
Based on my own experiences and what others have written I doubt you have ever entered a spin in the SR22...

Indeed the NTSB attributes several fatalities to stall/spin scenarios.

To quote a website in 2009:

As with most facts, they can be skewed in many different ways to represent many different views. This much is known. According to the National Transportation Safety Board database, there have been 46 fatal Cirrus accidents

Read more: Cirrus Fatalities Have Critics Questioning Safety
Just to remove any doubt, I am not knocking the Cirrus, its a fantastic aircraft but it does require care in its handling, it has nasty parts of its flight envelope that you do not want to enter and the chute does not exempt the pilot from stupidity....

Last edited by goldeneaglepilot; 12th Oct 2012 at 21:26.