PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 12th Oct 2012, 20:28
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
007helicopter - so you might like to give us an indication of when you would not pull the cute?

Here are some possible examples:

1. Downwind in the circuit. Obviously a chute pull will result in an off airport landing (assuming the wind is not at right angles to the down wind leg in the direction of the field). Lets assume the circuit is not sufficiently wide that you wouldn't expect to make the runway.
Reasonable medium or big Airport read Lydd / or Manston, yes I would in most circumstances expect and be able to land on the runway.

My home airport Rochester which I know very well and the approaches are awful in the event of coming up short I would in fact pull the chute and hope to come here to pick up the criticism (and hopefully eat dinner at home that night)

2. In the climb out from L2K - you will probably be at 1,000 feet or so over the beach or just beyond. The tide is out and the beach presents left and right.
Good one and I have considered this one specifically several times this year, the beech if empty would be very tempting but I have in fact decided I would likely still pull the chute but this is one of the tougher decision's, again maximum criticism expected from pprune.

South of the downs 4,000 feet - plenty of very large grass fields to choose from - no good reason to think any of the fields present hazards.
I would pull the Chute

Over the Alps - some valley landing sites available, or "fly" the aircraft to a chute pull with the expectation of landing in a valley, or just pull the chute and end up where it takes you.
I would aim to manoeuvre to what I considered the best area with prevailing winds and pull the chute.

5. Over a built up area interspersed with some larger areas of parkland at 2,500 feet.
In fact assuming for some reason I could not glide clear, which happens I would pull the chute because a) more likely I would survive and b) less impact and damage to whatever I hit on the ground at 17kt vertical than 60+ knot horizontal. Or if possible try and arrive with the chute over the parkland which I accept pretty tricky. I know at least 2 CAPS pull over built up areas and I accept this is a highly hypothetical scenario but this is the best answer I can give from the arm chair.

6. Over the Scottish highlands with very mixed terrain and no obviously clean landing sites.
Pull the chute, why wouldn't you?

7. In the winter over lots of muddy and evidently ploughed fields or fields with winter standing crops.
Pull the chute