PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Islander crash in Antigua
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2012, 18:16
Melax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Yes Yes, Acquisition cost higher, more qualified maintenance required, higher fuel cost, higher insurance premiums....To fly a 35nm leg, with 3 passengers or so I don't see why you would spend $$$ for a turboprop. You're right, properly maintained it would probably be a safer choice but, when it comes to $ , it is what it is.....The only turboprop aircraft's I would even consider for an operation out of Montserrat are the DO-228 or DH-C6 both multimillion $ machines or perhaps a C208 Grand Caravan but I'm not sure if the Regs allows for single engine Commercial Ops there, maybe someone can tell us. There is a variant of the BN2 fitted with Allison Turbo props, or a few Partenavias (I think called Spartacus also fitted with Allison 250SHP turbines) they are of course both very expensive compared to the piston BN2's and would reduce the profit margin. Then if your maintenance dpt can't properly bleed brake hydraulic lines, why complicate the operation by introducing more complicated machines

Last edited by Melax; 12th Oct 2012 at 18:59.