PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Islander crash in Antigua
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2012, 13:14
Melax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes indeed, the right Prop is not curled so the failure of the right engine seems to be confirmed, but why ? I guess the investigation will tell. I'm amazed to see so many survivable T/O engine failures leading to Death. While instructing ME I emphasize all the time (I mean it, all the time to the point that other instructors will warn my students..."he's going to saturate you with engine failure BLAH BLAH...) You often have very few precious seconds to react and take appropriate action. I'm not a BN2 guy, I know that they do not do very well on one engine, coupled with hot weather and perhaps a heavy load.One accident that I remember is The 737-200 out of Tamanrasset Algeria, Air Algérie Flight 6289 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The Capt didn't do a single thing to save the aircraft after loosing one engine, he spent the last seconds of his life yelling at the female co-pilot to "let go" when in fact she had relinquished the control. Of course, on paper the Capt was a great pilot with thousand of hours, former military etc... etc.... but couldn't fly a distressed plane for a few minutes when the plane was flyable.....

The very same plane VP-MON had a similar mishap with a better outcome last year in Montserrat. Here is the link to the previous accident report.

Air Accidents Investigation: Download PDF document

This report is "A MUST READ" very educational and puts in perspective the operational environment.
A month prior, there was another mishap by the same operator, same type due to the failure of the braking system. Air was trapped in the hydraulic line post maintenance to replace an O-ring. I guess the proper procedure to bleed the line was not observed..... Link to that report below.

Air Accidents Investigation: Download PDF document

Last edited by Melax; 12th Oct 2012 at 23:49.