PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss Cheese ASA Style
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2012, 08:07
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There you have it. a safety critical part of aviation with next to nil oversight.
"But wait there's more your Honour!"

Question no.: 96
Program: n/a
Division/Agency: (CASA) Civil Aviation Safety Authority
Topic: Air Traffic Controller Incident
Proof Hansard Page/s: 52 (23/05/2012)

Senator XENOPHON: It was put to me that there was an incident on 12 February this year, when there was a two-hour break in terms of the air traffic controller, the rated person, being away from that post and another person was there but not of the same equivalent rating. I think normally under the rules it is supposed to be for 20 minutes, but the rated air traffic controller is the one
who is responsible. Would you be concerned about a two-hour break period?

Mr McCormick: Yes, I would be. We have discussed with Airservices this principle of the short break and they are proposing some amendments to the procedure which we hope will address these issues.

Senator XENOPHON: Perhaps you could take on notice that incident that was put to me about 12 February.

Answer:
CASA has been advised by Airservices Australia (Airservices) that short breaks are not expected to exceed 20 minutes. Airservices conducted a review of the incident on 12 February this year and that review did not identify any evidence of a systemic problem but rather reflected on individual performance and Airservices has taken action to prevent a recurrence of the event.
Now let's get this straight here we have a mob that are known serial non-reporters, spinners of the truth and masters at the 'cover up' (although lately there's been several embarassing exposures of attempted cover ups) and Fort Fumble accept their word that all is sorted...hmm as gobbles would say "TICK TOCK"!