PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1950s small plane around Australia
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2012, 07:20
bushpig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Corby Starlet had a VDub engine as well as Jodels. I flew a single seat Jodel a few times in the 70's with a VW engine and it was good fun. There were two blokes in Canberra who built more than one Jodel (VW powered) from memory at separate times, I believe around the late 50's to 60's. I was a kid in the area then. I am fairly sure they were Artie Powell and Vic Southwell. I also have a feeling one or the other or both made a few long cross country excursions, whether around Australia though I don't know.
The one I flew was later than that and was built from scratch including the prop and an engine reputed to have originally come from the Queanbeyan tip. It had to go through a full test flying program as so much of it had been manufactured from basic materials. I did some of it and had a ball "screaming" around the Captains Flat, Hoskingtown area at about 70 knots.
There was a fellow though that used to fly a Corby Starlet quite long distances as well that I vaguely recall something about. Sorry can't be of more help.