PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Academy...really added value for job later?
Old 12th Oct 2012, 02:49
Marc123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed with most of the above;

I was fortunate enough to work at Bristow after my CFI, however that said, out of a class of approx 15 CFI students there were only 2 of us employed. Granted, it really depends on the need for instructors at the time - that was 2009 when economically things were going down the pot - not sure the stats on how many folks get hired nowadays per class.

Bristow is good for the brand, no doubt about that and it does work, provided you put the effort in and dont treat it as a kindergarden school and expect people to chase you up all the time and then wonder why you never got a job after that. I think it really does start from day 1 of you at the school - so strive to be as professional as you can, even as a student pilot, impressions go a long way.

However, they are a business at the end of the day and if they applied a personal touch to everyone and took pity on everyone to give jobs, they wouldnt have they brand name that they do. With so many students going through there per year, you cant expect a very high number of people to get a job, simply because there are just so many students.

I think if you want a solid training program and have the buck to support it, Bristow is the best. Even if you dont get a job immediately, it's always nice that an employer knows you came from Bristow Academy ( a well known, standardised school with good safety ethos) than say 'Fred in the Shed's Helicopters'.

It's a tough one, but to answer your question, I think it does help - it probably got me my job!