PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS - WHERE TO NOW?
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2012, 23:41
TIMA9X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just know that not everyone at Qantas shares the same sense of joy at people potentially losing their jobs.
and

by Transition Layer - I agree what you're saying about management being the culprits etc, but don't forget who operated those flights across the Tasman pre-Jet Connect. Jet Connect didn't just start a new market, they took over mainline flying, and subsequently slowed down career progression for mainline pilots.

And what happened to the group of aircraft in the 738 Rego block VH-VZE to VZL? Oh that's right, they're now registered ZK-ZQA and onwards, sporting the Qantas livery with "Spirit of Australia" on the side (and even The Wallabies logo at one stage).
I agree KEG & TL,

All this uncertainty was definitely created by the management, the sole purpose, in my view, force the line in the sand on pilot conditions.... obvious now, but when the Jetcon thing was implemented as a policy from the board down at Q, who would of thought then Q would now be teaming up with EK and leaving its well established ties with BA and one world who will have Qatar as its newest member soon? (last time I looked, also a ME carrier, go figure..)

Back then, the setup of Jet Con was sold to the Australian government and anyone else who wanted to listen, it was the pilot wages that were the main cause for the Tasman not making money for mainline .... I suggest this was not the case at all when you consider the overall big picture we are faced with today... other words... the pilot costs to Q were greatly exaggerated, and the management spent far too much time on this issue, which they eventually got their way, now it seems to no avail..

As I see it, if the rumours are indeed true (Jet con folding) then it was setup for the wrong reasons, highlighted by the current EK/QF proposed tie up....

today I noted this in the press,

Portions of British Airways' submission to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, which is deciding whether to approve a Qantas-Emirates alliance, have been blacked out.
These include the end of a sentence that details what impact ''the termination'' of the Qantas-BA alliance in favour of the proposed venture with Emirates would have on British Airways.
British Airways said it had relied on the revenue-sharing agreement with Qantas to gain better scheduling of flights and a more efficient use of aircraft time, as well as better access to the high-yielding Australian corporate travel market and better connections in Singapore, Hong Kong and Bangkok.
The airline also said in the submission that the combination of Emirates, Qantas and Jetstar would give it ''significant leverage'' on trans-Tasman routes and would minimise BA's ability to provide competing services in and out of New Zealand.
Qantas and British Airways have said before that their alliance was terminated on amicable terms.

Read more: BA flags end of Australia route
Without sounding optimistic, (not my intention) this has the potential for the ACCC to not allow the EK/QF tie up to proceed in its present form, if BA pull out.

more uncertain times ahead on both sides of the Tasman for all pilots concerned.. it never seems to end.. I for one support all of you... regardless what camp you are assigned to... at the end of the day, you are all pilots who have worked hard to get where you are today... the system makes you all jump through extra hoops compared to most other professions, something the general public don't really understand.. hats off to all of ya!