PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbulent Times for Light Aircraft in Tasmania
Old 11th Oct 2012, 23:05
alphacentauri

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Not just in Tassie....lets put in perspective.

What does $500 buy you? a quick comparison.

1. Not quite 2 hrs of flying training, in an aeroplane older than me without any modern avionics not including licence/medical fees and maps, charts etc
2. The complete basic open water dive certificate (5 day course)
3. 1 set of TAFE tuition fees for most semi professional qualifications (well it was when i did it)
4. A pc tablet
5. One weeks rent (in ACT)

These are just off the top of my head.

Now job prospects for a pilot....in Tassie? probably next to none. If you can make it to an airline, you will be one of the few. But most other professions and your mates who are plumbers and builders will be making more money then you and as a result have a better lifestyle.

FACT: There alot better ways to spend your hard earned money than throwing it up against the aviation wall. And the youth of today are beginning to realise it. Like it or not, the aviation dream for the next generation is dead.

My advice....get a good paying job, that allows you to blow upwards of 10,000 on a PPL and fly for fun. I haven't yet met anyone who has done this who hates flying. I have met heaps of people who have gone down a career path in aviation who wish they had done something else.

Just my 2 cents worth

Last edited by alphacentauri; 11th Oct 2012 at 23:07.