PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 11th Oct 2012, 23:03
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace 007 must answer for himself. Cirrus are not and cannot endorse a pull in every situation nor should a current pilot mindlessly pull if the engine fails downwind unless he feels unable to recover to the runway, given in almost any wind the chute can only result in an off airport landing.

I think copa are moving towards pilots pulling in the vast majority of cases but i dont see where this requires the caas involvement. Where is the evidence that current practise is unsafe - in fact the evidence is quite to the contrary.

I do however take your point that perhaps it could be argued the chute is as much a variance as glass so the pilot should require an endorsement that he has had chute training - my concern is where is the evidence of a need for this training. Would we end up with regulation for regulation sake yet again!

Pace with regard to guidance you know that is not what i said. I said cirrus cant give certainty. They already give guidance. What you seem not to like is that when you flow chart the problem the final box neither says pull the handle or land in a field. It says weigh the risks and make your own decision. It could not possibly say anything else.

Last edited by Fuji Abound; 11th Oct 2012 at 23:07.