PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 11th Oct 2012, 22:33
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace i dont think any serious person is suggesting use the chute in every circumstance. If there is a socking great field in front of you mown to better than wimbelon standards you would hardly reach for the handle. Only the pilot can weigh in the balance his currency and skill against the available sites against the risks of the chute. Surely you arent seeking to have cirrus alleviate the pilot of making that assessment nor could you unless you could demonstrate the chute would always produce a better outcome.

As i said earlier you are arguing for certainty where there can be done. You are wanting cirrus to give guidance they could never give. Based on the evidence they may well in time be able to say on average the chute is always likely to give a better outcome but even that is not the certainty you are seeking. Pohs can be wrong (i had an incident which resulted in the poh being changed), pohs evolve, pohs have plenty of instances were you run the flow chart but ultimately can run out of options - the pilot is left to make the decision.