PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 11th Oct 2012, 22:14
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency Procedures SR22

Landing Emergencies

If all attempts to restart the engine fail and a forced landing is
imminent, select a suitable field and prepare for the landing. If flight
conditions or terrain does not permit a safe landing, CAPS deployment
may be required. Refer to Section 10, Safety Information, for CAPS
deployment scenarios and landing considerations.
A suitable field should be chosen as early as possible so that
maximum time will be available to plan and execute the forced landing.
For forced landings on unprepared surfaces, use full flaps if possible.
Land on the main gear and hold the nose wheel off the ground as long
as possible. If engine power is available, before attempting an “off
airport” landing, fly over the landing area at a low but safe altitude to
inspect the terrain for obstructions and surface conditions.
• Note •
Use of full (100%) flaps will reduce glide distance. Full flaps
should not be selected until landing is assured.
Fuji

I think the above is the Cirrus recommendations? I note they say Cap Deployment MAYBE required
So basically Cirrus recommend a conventional forced landing and only if one is not possible or advisable to consider the use of the chute.
So Cirrus are cautious about even telling pilots to use the chute by adding the word MAYBE.

That is very different to what Pilots like 007 are contemplating which is to use the chute in ALL cases of engine failure as a SOP.
That idea is being heralded by instructors and various Cirrus clubs with no backup from the manufacturer.

It may or may not be the right thing to do using the chute in all engine failure situations but on whos advice?
That would indeed be a departure from conventional training and procedures for engine failure in a SEP? As such it should be approved by either the CAA or Cirrus not a concocted home made procedure by certain instructors off their own bat!

I am convinced with the chute and the aircraft but feel there should be more official guidance on its use.
Fuji I am sure you understand what I am getting at here?
Cirrus are happy to endorse a conventional forced landing but not one with the chute they leave that in your court!

Cirrus would be open to equal litigation telling you to force land as telling you to use the chute for engine failure

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 11th Oct 2012 at 22:24.