PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Basic Course at Cwmbran - 19th November 2012
Old 11th Oct 2012, 21:01
Andy Mayes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else doing the basic course at Cwmbran starting 19th November 2012 and ADI starting 7th Jan 2013?
Horrible times of the year to be stuck in Cwmbran, its a fairly dull dark place even in summer.

I don't recommend the Best Western (Parkway Hotel) which is a pitty as it's literally a 5 minute walk from the college and supposed to be a 4 Star, I wouldn't give it 2! Would be very handy if things there have improved.

The Holiday Inn (The Coldra) and The Holiday Inn Express (Lakeside Drive) are both adequate although they are Holiday Inn's so don't expect much, with the latter guests used to get free membership to a nearby gym I don't know if that still happens, the former has it's own (small) gym. I understand that the Lakeside Drive hotel is the one where most sponsored students stay, dinner is taken at The Dragon Fly pub next door (food is not bad but gets a bit boring after a week).

I do recommend the Celtic Manor especially if you are a golfer, a true 5 star hotel perfect for long walks round the grounds but it'll be dark by the time you finish college each day!

The college has a list of other B&B's and houses/rooms available to share/rent, particular useful for those self sponsoring however, it is usually very beneficial to spend time after college going through things with fellow students so don't stay too far from them.

Best of luck, don't bother taking your sunglasses, you won't need them!