PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Academy...really added value for job later?
Old 11th Oct 2012, 19:37
Hawkeye0001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It didn't hurt
You will make a LOT of connections at Bristow Academy. You might not realize it at the time but it will help you a few years down the road for sure. I'm going so far as to say that in most companies around the globe there is a good chance you'll bump into someone who trained at Bristow / Helicopter Adventures to help you out one way or another.
The training is absolutely top-notch and high standard (too high?) and the JAA-sideof the school influences the FAA-training in a very positive way. Your groundschool (esp. IFR) goes way beyond FAA-standards, even Crew Ressource Management (i.e. SRM) is part of your initial PPL already.

That being said:
  • Bristow doesn't guarantee you a CFI-job and if you don't get one you won't get one there (their selection starts with day one of your PPL)
  • Bristow doesn't give a dime about you once you've finished your training
  • Bristow doesn't help you find a job in this industry
  • Bristow is a big school and it's easy to become a number. Even though they try not too, it comes with the big amount of students
  • There are many other great schools in the US. Particularly when it comes to high-altitude training (some particularly good ones in Colorado & Utah)
So do not count on Bristow after you graduate. You're left on your own to achieve your goal and find your place in the industry. But their name and the training sure does help along the way once you found your first job.

P.S.: In the name of decency I might add that I got 2 of my 3 jobs because I went there

Last edited by Hawkeye0001; 11th Oct 2012 at 19:40.