PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 11th Oct 2012, 15:03
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont Overfil

The Doctor Killer was the single engine V tailed Bonanza not the Baron.
The short time I have experienced the Cirrus The main trait I noticed was a very lively roll rate which I timed as the same as a Firefly aerobatic machine.
hand flown by an inexperienced instrument pilot it would be easy to over control in roll which is what appears to have happened here!
I loved the Cirrus and its chute the main question in my mind being that having the chute will....

A) lull inexperienced or uncurrent pilots into just the situation where they need to use the chute ie at night or into bad weather.

B) Because of its effectiveness a question mark over overuse of the chute when a competent pilot should not need to use it.
I feel there should be more discussion on when the chute should be used ie for engine failure.

C) a clarification of where not to use the chute unless the aircraft is unflyable ie over built up areas.

I do see a comparison with a pilot wearing a chute. When would he vacate the aircraft? Would he vacate and abandon the aircraft if the aircraft engine stopped? NO
Would he vacate in bad weather NO and YES only when loss of control occurs
Would he abandon ship on engine failure at night?

The fact that the chute lowers the aircraft to the ground and not one occupant seems to change the emphasis of when and where the chute should be used and in what circumstances?

That brings in further questions of the manufacturer endorsing and being more specific of when and where the chute should be deployed.
The manufacturer seems reluctant probably for liability issues to be specific on a development which is exciting and challenges conventional pilot training!

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 11th Oct 2012 at 15:09.