PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA to FAA to instruct......?
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2001, 23:03
ronchonner

you have to pass written test and check ride for IFR (written is easy) check ride will be harder for a JAR pilot with no experience.
pay is 15-20$ per flight hour...you have to do the cfi,cfii (instrument) prior to teach.
(initial cfi minimum)
you can make 800-1300$/month if you are in a good school.it s hard to live with this, USA is expensive.
you will need your own car.

you will not get a job and you can not apply to the green card lottery.but you can work as a contractor for a school.

i can tell you it s hard.I live in the USA since 1995.I did my ATP FAA.I flew for sky divers and small companies (freight,schools...)
but you can fly and log time.
I do nt understand why guys like you, spend so much money in a JAR license if it s to go to USA, why do nt go in an airline, like easy jet, lufthansa...you have been trained for, so what do you wait?
if you go to the USA, you will ever get a job back, cuz in the USA, we have a lot of bad habits.we fly too much, we do nt pay to fly, we teach,we fly hundred of different planes in the busiest airspace of the world.It s very risky, lot of crash (www.ntsb.gov),I lost several friends who crashed.we fly IFR night on single piston engine,if you lose you engine and you land in west texas, you die.most of planes are crapt, bad maintenance,...in winter, they force you to fly in icing condition with a non approved plane for ice.
anyway, I warn you:if you are a real pilot, you will like to fly in the USA but you risk your life.if you are one of these rich pilots who prefer to stay at home and dream to fly an airbus 320. stay in europe with momy!
J1 visa is a student visa for 2 year.during 6 months, u are authorized to work in the school.to get a J1 visa, u have to pay around 20'000$ in a training.My advise is :go with a tourist visa B2.when you enter in the USA, write on the I94 form rospect student.
you will have 3-4 months to find a school.
most of schools are M1 approved, it s a visa for 1 year and it costs only 120 $ (www.ins.gov).
if you want join a good school www.flypinnacle.com

1:CONVERSION(order of courses)
2: J1 VISA Whatisit??!
3:RRRENUMERATION $$$$$$
4:Chance of Brit getting US Ins Job?