PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 11th Oct 2012, 05:22
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was it indicative of a lack of planning before commencing the approach. Should he have made a proper study of the sectional and know what terrain concerns there might be?
Lack of planning who knows, terrain was not an issue at this airport.

I don't know how much time the pilot had in a Cirrus, or indeed any aircraft with an equivalent autopilot. However for anyone in this situation that has had a half acceptable level of training on the aircraft I would have expected the pilot to have engaged the autopilot in heading mode, followed immediately by a climb to recover VMC on autopilot. Set the bug, vs and hit the buttons and up she goes.
I am not certain but recall hearing around 500 hours, with regards the autopilot I totally agree that is one way to have the automation help but really only all the while the Pilot is thinking clearly and still in control of the aircraft.

If as appears in this case here he lost control, was disorientated at 1000ft in IMC, then I think the chute was the right option.

I understand we all argue he should never have lost control, should be able to easily cope with those conditions, should have planned better but something went wrong and he did the right thing regarding the chute.

I heard on the same day a Baron at the same airport lost control on approach and two people perished.