PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captains interfering with the FO's flying
Old 19th Jan 2003, 06:45
Barrelroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies,

To those captains posting their views, I fully appreciate the responsability of being in command of the flight having been a Training Captain on a smaller type in a different airline myself. My goal was the following: when I flew as a training captain training a new FO or Captain on line I tried to impart as much knowledge as possible, even to the point of overkill, no interference with the flying though, unless very necessary. But when the line training was complete, the emphasize shifts to captain, FO, building a coherent team and an atmosphere that will enhance synergy and teamwork on the flightdeck, since having been an FO before I knew what negative effect an overbearing and interfereing captain has on CRM and teamwork and therefore the overall safety of the flight.

To those who suggest that I refuse to fly with certain pilots and/or report the culprits to the chief pilot I am unfortunately in the following situaion: (1) The chief pilot is one of the culprits, (2) the company I fly for are not very structured and if any FO refuse to fly with any captain it will be severely looked upon and will most likely prevent future promotion, (3) any FOs promotion depends on one person, namely the chief pilot mentioned in (1), (4) in this company (by now I am wondering myself what on earth am I doing in this company!?) bad habit power trip captains make out about half of the captains I fly with.

Any advise for that?

Barrelroll