PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Touchdown Short Of Runway
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2012, 18:54
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In this day & age there is a great exchange of information and much of it is about the cause of crashes. This could be mechanical or procedural in which case things are redesigned or changed to prevent a reoccurrence. The same is true about human factor errors. Here on prune, and hopefully via the more official channels of flight safety dissemination, we've heard about many such instances, e.g. the B737 in india that continued an approach and ran off the end of a cliff. It was asked by everybody why the F/O was not more forceful in his self-preservation. Still unanswered. Lots of questions about culture differences and experience gradients etc. It was a well reported and discussed event; quite recently. I'm amazed therefore that in the EU, so soon afterwards, there is another similar accident. It is staggering that we as a pilot community seemed to have learnt so little, and that those apprentices in the RHS have not been schooled in these previous events and told with no uncertainty that they are often the last safety net underneath an arrogant/nervous/compulsive/ignorant/non-SOP/ or other kind of captain who is trying to kill you. In most previous cases it was the captain who was PF with get home-itis, but here it was he F/O, and that makes it more curious for the inter-play going on at the time.
Many questions and not perhaps so many answers. I wonder if the captain even knows/remembers/understands what he did and why.