PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zero to hero pilot training FAA/JAA.. advice anyone?
Old 10th Oct 2012, 11:54
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somebody once showed me a very "cheap school" program from East Europe! To be honest, when you started breaking down the calculations for the different moduls and what kind of aircraft they used for their training, it worked out the same as any modular school in West Europe.

One example of a trick they use, is to tell you how cheap their IR is, however what they don't tell you, is that you do most of your IR training in a SEP, and than just before the test they convert you to a MEP, so you hours paid are for SEP!

Believe me, there is not much different in cost between countries, either in East or West Europe! USA is good for hour building, weather, and combine with a long holiday its ideal!

The point with this, be aware sometimes saving a few pounds might give you more headaches with your licence! Also remember UK is now EASA, there is some new paperwork on stuff now floating around.

You should also budget yourself for having money for a TR in case you do against all odds get offered a job after training! This of course if you want to go to Hero!

As somebody suggested, if you can live home, work and train part time, so you can save up more money would be good.

Places like Stapleford are good also in the UK, fair program and prices.

I am not clear on the exact prices for PPL and hour building now, but from others I would have thought a budget would be around:
PPL/Hour Building in UK: £16.000 - £18000
CPL: £7000
ME: £3000
IR: £15000
ATPL : £3000
MCC: £2000

£46.000 - £48.000 is possible (remember exams fees, living costs and some equipment, should be covered in the total of £48.000.

There is money to be saved in some of the above modules, depending on your own performance.

Doing FAA and conversion to JAA, will not necessary make it much cheaper for you, you will have to have money to spend for the conversion later! With JAA you have chance to apply RYR , which is a good start!

Going to USA will mean much money going for travel costs, living expenses - and many more temptations than in the UK, so I would live at home as much as you could, and take it one step at a time!

Last edited by truckflyer; 10th Oct 2012 at 12:06.