PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JHAS Keeps 457's over Local workers in new Redundancy round
Old 10th Oct 2012, 09:40
Wellwellwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gens frog...
Didn't once say I agree with people loosing jobs, yep that sucks. As for the skills shortage now, unfortunately JHAS needed A330/Trent B1s and B2s 18 months ago. I'm sure if anyone at Qantas or Forestaff bothered to apply for the endless weeks of ads that I recall seeing at the time for BNE/SYD/PER/MEL then they probably would have been guaranteed a gig. The thing is, no one leaves Qantas unless its through redundancy.

Just do some training I hear everyone say. Yeah, try and get anything approved by CASA these days, let alone a new type. And how would get CASA approved PCT for an aircraft that's not here yet? Easy when your buying new ones from Airbus, but didn't they lease the first few from EK?

My guess is they did everything they could, then exhausted all avenues to have full coverage at all ports by bringing in a few 457s. At the time it was a genuine skills shortage. Anyway, I always thought that the unions are notified of all 457s and have the opportunity to object? Anyone verify that?

As for the damaged A330, I heard it was damaged by another ground handler towing a JQ ship?