PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tool Box Shadow Board
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2012, 09:36
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not aircraft=maint. but ex-motor-trade.
Lost a few tools over the years.
Transit pick-up.clutch job....vehicle out in a hurry checked tools.....impact socket missing from cased-set......thorough search of cluttered workshop floor, under benches, etc.didn't find it.......a considerable period later, (maybe18months) same vehicle having work underneath.....Lo! socket stuck on cross-member bolt On another occasion, a regular left with a 10mm combi-spanner in an inaccessible spot behind the headlamp....another one that was later retrieved.

Having retired from the trade and been robbed of my toolkit, I happened across a blow-moulded case of "Crescent" tools (a US company, but made in the far-east) Sporting an impressive guarantee for life, ISO , BS, EN ,etc. quality -assurances, it was remarkably cheap, carried a load of bits and bobs (mainly 1/4-drive sockets) that i'd never use, but the essentials were there at a good price.................. Well, that case has been a godsend, laid flat , the top opens as two "doors" like a wardrobe, everything clipped into it's place and you can tell INSTANTLY if something's missing, PROVIDED you put everything back BEFORE leaving site. In ~5 years, I've not lost a thing from that case.....can't say the same about all my other tools though!.

I'd ABSOLOUTELY recommend shadow-boards....take up space, yes, but instant stock-check.....and remember, if you think it wastes time, - how much time does it take to earn the cash to replace that missing tool?

It's a lucky man who NEVER loses a tool, but learning good habits now will repay you over your working life.