PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gunners and other Pongos take a rubber-hosing from the MAA
Old 10th Oct 2012, 09:26
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Stoppers, I agree and Annex 1 of ICAO is quite clear that to fly an aircraft you should be a pilot and to fly it IFR you must be rated. I don't see the Gunners are achieving anything like the spirit implied in this internationally agreed document.

There's a good reason why Predator and Reaper use aircrew - they need to be qualified and rated on type. Even those used that have not done the full recognised aircrew courses for manned aircraft - such as the Uk's Project DAEDALUS - have flown solo in a manned aircraft and have completed a course of recognised trg. On completion of the course they were awarded Unmmaned Aircrew wings and are, to all intents and purposes, de facto aircrew, with at least 170-190hrs of experience like that for a baby ME pilot in the RAF.

I think the Gunners need to seriously rethink their trg and at the very least ask their AAC cousins for some help - Regimental pride has no place in aviation...

LJ

Last edited by Lima Juliet; 10th Oct 2012 at 09:27.