PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JHAS Keeps 457's over Local workers in new Redundancy round
Old 10th Oct 2012, 06:57
aintsaying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The title of this thread is all about 457 visa persons.
Of all the areas where layoffs are currently occuring right now, how many of them work beside the 457 visa guys? Last I herd the majority of the layoffs are at heavy maintenance. The 457 visa guys work on line and they all have A330 ratings.
Now I agree its bulls#$%t that when layoffs occur locals are hit first and not the 457 visa guys. But under the immigration laws in Australia the 457 visa guys are protected for 5 yrs. And even if the employer/sponsor did lay them off their relocation back to their own country would have to be paid as well.
Australia is NOT the only country that does this either.
As for the quality of work that comes out of JHAS, has anyone considered the work load that is given to JHAS by the customer?
What would you do if your work package included a fan lube, boroscope, engine wash and a full power vibe run all on the same engine? This would be in addition to the normal airframe work package (flap/leading edge/gear lubes/ hyd filters/ interior).I'm not even going to mention parts availability either. And don't forget that the aircraft lands at 2330hrs and gets towed into the hangar at 0030hrs. The normal nightshift duration is 2000hrs to 0600hrs. Now dont forget that the customer also schedules the aircraft for an 0600 departure, so that means you need to have the aircraft back on line, at the gate, by 0500hrs.
So you are all saying "just defer" the work. Hmm....good idea. Would be nice if the customer would let them!
The boys and girls working nights at JHAS do their best to meet the needs of the customer but get let down by a whole lot of other factors. And in the end it will be them who takes the blame and takes the hit.

Since mightyauster mentioned A330 damage...what was the story about VH-XFB's engine pylon that got bent? Who did that? Was it done in Australia?