PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Miss - Darwin
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2012, 05:36
Genisis Dreaming

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a organisational problem

G'day all,

I read this thread with interest having RAAF and AsA ATC experience and alsothe other side of the mic.

I need to start by not excusing the actions of the ATC involved but Ibelieve there is a bigger problem contributing to this.

This problem involves the RAAF ATC's bigger mission and whether or not itinvolves providing civil ATS at joint user aerodromes.

We only need to head over to www.defencejobs.gov.auto see that you can no longer apply to become an ATC, but now something calleda JBAC. In general, what I am saying is that if the RAAF ATC mission is to be aJBAC, then they should hand over the Monday to Friday ATC duties to AsA andfocus on what they do best - deploying to crappy places around the world andbeing a JBAC.

People have identified the posting cycles that ADF people do as a contributingfactor in that yes, as soon as people get familiar with the aircraft types andthe nature of the operations, they are posted to other bases. Airservices doesnot have this problem (generally speaking). Airservices is able to retain theircorporate knowledge at each Tower, Approach cell or Enroute sector. Most of theRAAF ATC do move around every 3-4 years. The RAAF also do not collect TerminalNav charges. Some people raise the issue of the ATIS and a separate VHF freq.Well pay the TNC and you get some better facilities. Speaking of facilities,have a look at the system differences between RAAF and Airservices. You willnotice one of the companies has spent A LOT of money improving their system toimprove the service they can deliver.
Some have raised the tone and manner that they have been spoken to on thephone by particular ATC's. I would remind the callers, that they are speakingto public servants. They have a responsibility to provide a service, ATS, andto best represent the public service sector for which they work. If you, as thecaller, feel as though you have been mistreated, or that your message has notbeen actioned, then, as someone earlier remarked, do something about it. Takepen to paper, or write an email, or request the person's name and their boss'contact details and make a complaint. If you're not satisfied, then ask tospeak to HQ of RAAF ATC at Williamtown.

I realise that all this takes time, and that most of the time you are onlyon the ground for a short turnaround and all you have time for is one quickcall, but record the details and pass it to your companies government or ATC liaisonperson for them to action. It is not good enough to be palmed off when you havea legitimate operational complaint.

And finally, everyone in aviation, at times, will make a mistake. I have hadcalls from pilots calling to acknowledge that they were at fault in inputtingan incorrect STAR clearance, after it had been alleged that it was my fault andI had issued them the incorrect STAR. It's why we have many layers of defencesin aviation. And I too have made incorrect sequencing decisions and throughhindsight, there was a better way. But each day all the pilots and ATC do theirbest to provide the best service they can, with the equipment, and support theyhave. Just like there are incidents reported at Darwin and Williamtown, thereare also incidents at Brisbane and Melbourne.

Anyway, this might seem like a long ramble, but just some thoughts. I haveadvocated long from the ATC side that the Traffic Management Plan needs toevolve and be updated, and I believe that is finally happening. And if the RAAF are serious in providing ATS at joint user aerodromes, then step up to the mark. Improve the equipment and change the organisation to ensure that the staff you have are there for the long run. And charge the bucks if you need to pay for it.