PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moonee Ponds International Airport(YMEN)
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2012, 04:01
6317alan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one aeroplane that has not been mentioned that flew from Essendon are the B170 Bristol Freighter's that were operated by Air Express. They could actually be operated single pilot legally although A/A flew them 2 pilot with a "radio operator" in the second seat. They were a very good freighter and would carry about 1/2 as much again as a DC3 about 5-10 knots faster using about 1/3 more fuel. The only problem with them was that they were Very, Very NOISY inside the cockpit with the straight out exhaust from 1980 hp just outside your side window!
I have about 15 hours on them in my logbook although I have flown at least 10 times that, I could only book the hours with the Training Captains. My first flight was with a Captain that knew my tailwheel background and said, " Älan it's just like a big Auster" and it was certainly easy to handle using basic technique, and most Captains would fly leg for leg. The most memorable flight was on the return leg from Launceston and this Captain offered to do the walk around preflight and suggested that I settle myself in Left Hand Seat, All went well until just after settling in cruise when I was hand flying in actual IFR the aeroplane felt quite sensitive and it was quite hard work to fly accurately. It was daylight by the time we arrived back at YMEN and after breaking right from the 26 approach path to land on 17 on short final a company aeroplane waiting to T/O made some sort derogatory remark to us and then the tower wanted to know if we wanted to get out in a hurry. After parking we then found out why the comments and my difficulty flying the aeroplane was because the pilot access a fold down door about 2' x 3' was hanging down in airstream! My own built-in "Äirbrake"under the nose, however It was a good honest aeroplane! Interesting times!