PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captains interfering with the FO's flying
Old 18th Jan 2003, 22:27
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think there are many F/O's out there who don't understand that the Captain has ultimate responsibility and must jump in when something is happening that the F/O (PF) is not dealing with. I think that is a different case to what Barrelroll is describing. I have flown with two such characters, one immesurably worse than the other. Everyone knows who he is within said airline, including the pilot management but they do nothing about him. It has even got to the point that dozens, and I mean dozens of F/O's have refused to fly with him. He insists the aircraft is flown 'his way' and if you make a selection that is not 'his way' he will jump in and correct it by making selections for you. He is in my opinion arrogant, blinkered, over confident (no brief and no navaids set up despite my repeated requests during descent) and dangerous (he insists on keeping VNAV in virtually to glide capture and so keeps updating the FMC, head down, in the busy TMA whilst you are trying to fly the thing. In the end you call up the fix page and work your descent out on that as the map keeps disappearing as he constructs more and more waypoints as the controller gives you another vector.) His flying is nothing to be proud of (300kts downwind on a visual approach at night with a 30kt tailwind at circuit altitude) and everytime you say anything on the RT, make an MCP selection, fill in the Ops Return, make a comment about a news article, mention that the No.1 is a nice girl.......you are wrong. Period. Only two ways to handle him.

1. Say nothing and sit there and fume, then refuse to fly with him, or,
2. Confront his bullying attitude and make him aware you are not willing to accept it, which has worked for most. You are still wrong, but he is less overbearing whilst you are flying.

What should be done? He should not be commanding an aircraft in my opinion........let alone training people in them!

PP