PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANGLESEY
Thread: ANGLESEY
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2012, 00:33
avturboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
F
Even from somewhere like Bangor, to get to RAF Valley by public transport seems to mean a 45 min train to Holyhead followed by a 35 min bus, or a 35 min train followed by a 45 minute walk. Oh, and Manx2 insist that all passengers must be at the airport 30 mins in advance even if they have already checked in online and printed off a boarding pass.

Comments anyone ?
Once you're on the mainland, Bangor, or any of the other 'major' coastal towns, then you might as well head east on the A55/M56 to Manchester Airport, barely 90 minutes away by car.

As far as security goes then it often seems the case that the smaller locations appear to have security staff numbers that exceed passengers, try the Scottish highland and island airports.

Can sort of understand subsidy money in the Scottish islands but can't on this route in Wales. Certainly Cardiff to Valley by road is a hike, no motorways to help, but what draws anyone to the route, as OP says Valley is hardly at the centre of anything. There has been the odd very rare occasion for the flight to divert from Valley to Caernarfon, I can see slightly more value to that, Caernarfon is right on the doorstep of Snowdonia.

Don't want to overlap with other threads but certainly CWL needs every pax it can get (thinking about yesterdays story about loss of over £300,000 in past year). But surely the subsidy money which is applied to the Valley route could be used to better effect attracting more business into CWL from more significant destinations. As for Valley I really can't see the value in having that facility, sorry no disrespect to anyone local to their.

I spend a great deal of leisure time in North Wales, staying in Caernarfon most weekends through the summer, and intending to move to the area in the next 3-4 years. In fact having been a regular visitor to that part of the world for over 35 years I feel I know it well. I work in regional airport operations around the UK, however I find it difficult to see a great deal of value in a commercial (?) service into Valley.