PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA to GCAA conversion/validation
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2012, 20:09
HiPlnsDrftr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA to GCAA conversion/validation

Anyone know the nuts-and-bolts of getting an FAA airman certificate and medical converted for flying in the UAE?

Background: I'm looking into FlyDubai, Emirates, Etihad, or perhaps a corporate flying position. There will be some sort of license conversion, or validation, I assume. So, for those who have made the jump from the US, to the UAE, do you know whether the airlines (or GCAA) need the 'long' file from the FAA, or just the 'short file.'

The long file, as you may know, is a thick stack of paperwork, with a copy of every 8710 form, and every 8500 (medical application) that you've ever filled out in your flying life- it took about 2 months for me to receive my copies (that was in '05). The short file, on the other hand, simply shows: type rating; certificates held; accidents/incidents/violations; and class of medical. It can be had alot quicker, it seems.

Also, I had LASIK a few years back. With the FAA it's pretty straightforward and not too involved. It's my understanding that the procedure is accepted by the UAE based airlines (and GCAA), based of course, on their own thorough eye exams. So, I'm also wondering what paperwork, if any, they would want me to bring from the U.S., or do they just 're-invent the wheel' so to speak, and do all their own exams/documentation, ect?

Thanks in advance, to any of my fellow, 'damn Yankees' out there. I just don't want to get tripped up by not having my paperwork in order (in the unlikely event I should get a call soon). BTW- I've tried thoroughly to search other posts on this, but so far, no luck.