PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Occurrence Reporting by ATC
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2012, 16:22
Spitoon

General point to start.....ATC may be required to report many things as a local procedure, this is supposed to help an ATC unit/company to tweak its safety management systems and to make sure everything is covered. Some of these reports must be submitted as part of the MOR scheme in the UK (different names in other countries). There is a European Directive on occurrence reporting which says that each State must capture certain specific events and analyse or investigate these events. The MORE scheme is the UK's way of meeting the directive. Our friends at EASA are in the process of helping the European Commission to draft a regulation (rather than a directive) which looks like it will be far more specific about how occurrence reports will be submitted and handled.

On to the questions you ask, here are my thoughts (from a UK viewpoint although most other European States work to similar principles) ...

1 - ATC do not know what minima crews operate to but, certainly controllers at an airport have a good feel for whether an aircraft will be starting an approach or not. Ultimately of course, it's up to the aircraft commander in accordance with his/her Ops Manual.

2 - In the UK there is an ATC procedure, commonly known as the 'absolute minima' procedure where ATC will ask the crew to check their minima in certain conditions. To do this each ATC unit has a table of minima for each approach that is the lowest that an aircraft can legitimately make an approach. If a pilot says he/she wants to make an approach below these conditions the controller will ask the crew to check their minima. If the pilot still wants to make an approach ATC has some special phraseology that does not clear the aircraft for the approach but says there is no traffic in the way. This gets reported to the CAA.

3 - A normal landing does not get reported....although the passengers seem to clap for some reason on many flights.

ATC would not normally contact the crew after landing - if I recall correctly the procedure specifically stops this in order not to compromise any subsequent legal action taken by the CAA.

That's what happens in the real world and it would surprise me if it was not fully covered in professional pilot training.