PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS - WHERE TO NOW?
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2012, 08:27
TIMA9X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAN WE TRUST HIM.
well, his track record so far ain't great but it is possible that he is changing his tune (or someone is insisting he does) if you read between the lines in this story... gone is AJ praising Jetstar before Qantas which is a relief.

"Anybody that has a view of what's going to happen in any level of growth rate in Sydney knows the damage that it is going to cause, not only the NSW economy, but the national economy if we don't address this problem," he said.
"We need a second Sydney airport – we don't need another airport in NSW. There is no point building fast-train links to places like Canberra and assuming that is going to fix the problem."
Mr O'Farrell has ruled out supporting a second airport and favours using Canberra Airport by connecting it to Sydney with a high-speed train line.
But Mr Joyce said: "I don't think even Michael O'Leary from Ryanair would have had the gall to claim Canberra was the second Sydney airport – he makes outrageous calls on airports around the world."
Yes his mission, talking up the EK alliance but for the first he is also talking up jobs.. what the mainstream media missed (as usual) Ben Sandilands covered in his story which I highlighted...

Qantas CEO Joyce talks up jobs, 787s and 2nd Sydney Airport | Plane Talking

Qantas CEO Alan Joyce has engaged in a lively Q and A session after addressing the National Press Club in Canberra, talking up new jobs, 787 international flights from the capital, and saying London is finished if the Emirates deal isn’t approved

Qantas CEO Alan Joyce told the National Press Club today that the Emirates partnership would create more jobs for the flying kangaroo, and could see it return to Europe in its own right.
He also spoke favourably about using 787-9s to inaugurate Qantas international flights from Canberra (provided the long haul operation returned to viability), said that everyone knew the NSW Premier, Barry O’Farrell was wrong about Sydney not needing a second airport, and looking across the hall at the Federal Transport Minister, Anthony Albanese, who wants it built at Wilton, said Qantas preferred the existing site at Badgerys Creek
by Stalins ugly Brother - From what i'm hearing this is all true, to be hinted at at the AGM and to be confirmed early in the new year. Plus the rumour of Jetstar not getting the 787s is not going away according to whispers around the corridors.
Yeah, and I think if AJ at the AGM truly does announce the 787s going to Q then I think he will have a better chance getting the EK/QF thing through the ACCC.. as it would be seen as a positive, rather than continually talking up J* Investors may start to believe AJ is in fact serious about the Qantas premium brand for the first time...

I think the Jetstar long haul option based in SIN is starting to wear a bit thin with a lot of people close to the main investors.. ie the current JQA330 operations losing money....AJ needs to be good at the AGM this year as does LC who has a very low public profile since the last AGM, I think because of the uncertainty his leadership has created over the previous two years... don't be surprised if he steps down.... (I am still hearing this is very possible) It is easy to shoot down what LC said at last years AGM regarding the share price, although better than a couple of months back it still has gone backwards compared to this time last year.... highlighting the poor management decisions... other words, the progress has been painfully slow.. way too slow now hanging their hats on EK sorting out Q's future which is what AJ is effectively saying now...

Last edited by TIMA9X; 9th Oct 2012 at 10:52.