PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who was 'the boss' on a Nimrod?
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2012, 07:12
5aday

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the early days(1970s) on 203sqn the aeroplanes were virtually brand new and I was the only singlee on the crew I flew with (crew 2) and also the most junior - so I did the rationing (I was told to).
I decided to have a no tins policy (the amount of tins for sharing out after the trip was ridiculous on Shacks at BK and the on board food was really crap ) so in Malta every trip was catered for a full nine hours for fourteen bods (because the Nimrod was so new we invarioubly had guests though they never really ate anything as they were sat in ordnance trying to hold on to their innards) so as crew we enjoyed a wonderful diet of fresh fillet, [steak cooked on board (usually setting off the fire/mist alarms in the Aileron Hyd bay)] along with salads etc., along with fruit and joghurt for snacks. The mess used to make up some really wonderful sauces for us in flasks( bourguignon etc). MCT trips were usually better than some of the better restaurants downtown in St Juliens.
After I was posted back to Kinloss, apparently it reverted (sadly) back to tins again as all of the crew were scalees and nobody could be bothered.
The boss - at that time (Keefy) was at the pointy end but briefly I joined Soggys crew on 206sqn, - he was a Nav Captain and very good at it as well IMHO and in later life on 120 quite a few 'captains' were rear crew.
Never an issue.

Quite happy days.

Last edited by 5aday; 9th Oct 2012 at 07:28.