PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - names under the cockpit
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2012, 04:50
GreenKnight121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staircase... the only reason NOT to have aircrew and plane captain names on the aircraft is to cater to the "recognizing achievement demeans those who don't achieve" lunatics that have fouled our societies.

Originally Posted by Easy Street
Sadly the tradition is pretty much dead. Cost savings, etc. In the last 10 years or so it's only been the anniversary jets which get names added, usually bearing the Boss's name plus a lucky other (either the Exec or a random JP). Fleet rotation then ensures that this aircraft gets flown by a totally different squadron, and bears the markings for years afterwards. I've seen photos of the XV(R) Sqn anniversary jet on detachment at Gioia during 2011, when I know for a fact that both of the officers named thereon were on ground tours!!
Sounds pretty lazy and "don't give a shiite", to me.

It costs pennies (and a few minutes) to replace the name of a bloke who has transferred out, or to update an airframe transferred in.

Cost has nothing to do with it. All it requires is for the squadron to have pride in themselves.

Oh, right, I forgot... no Brit has pride in their country, service, or themselves any more... sorry.

Last edited by GreenKnight121; 9th Oct 2012 at 04:51.