PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Miss - Darwin
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2012, 21:35
flying-spike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing much has changed by the sound of it.

Several years ago I was flying a Chieftain and on final for 29 approaching 400' (my committal height) with a B200 stopped about halfway up the runway, conducting "stop and goes"when they clear an outbound B737 line up in front of me. I go around left and head for the approach end of 36. Tower acknowledges and clears me to left base 36, I answer " Confirm right base 36" he replies just in time "right base 36" just as I see a Conquest on final for 36 so I conduct a left orbit and reposition mid base 36 with then enough space between me and the Conquest just landed.

Very annoyed, I ring ATC to speak to the controller.The controller advises me that he had a trainee and he got away from him, making it difficult for him to rectify the situation
I told him that I would be submitting a 2593 (remember them?) to which he answers "go for your life mate, we don't do anything about them we're RAAF!"

To be fair, the problem then, and probably still is the two year posting cycle. By the time a controller is anywhere near proficient he is training his replacement (or attempting to).
I would be interested to hear if that is still the case.