PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Federal Government supports Emirates/Qantas deal
Old 8th Oct 2012, 21:07
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
How did this happen?

Let me tell you the process, it's called multi-level marketing.

Qantas has identified every decision maker in the Federal Government that potentially affects its operations. It has also done exactly the same with the opposition in as much detail as it can.

The purpose of this exercise is to develop a picture of the chain of command from top to bottom.

Each link in the chain is assigned a "partner" who is a Qantas executive or Board member or perhaps a "friend" of Qantas ( eg: an investor). The Qantas partners are chosen to "mirror" the link female to female, economist to economist, etc.

The mission of the Qantas partner is to build a relationship, trusting if possible, with the designated link. The purpose of the relationship is twofold: gain a detailed understanding of the dynamics of the Government as it effects Qantas ie; Who hates who, who is up for promotion, what so and so wants to do and most importantly who is driving policy and what that policy is. The second purpose will come later.

The mechanism of relationship building is simple: the Boardroom lunch, the upgrade, the special service request, the invitation to a conference, the regular free lunch (so that just the Two of us can have a chat) and of course the Chairmans lounge, the tour, the Ipad, and if the target is really crass, the free flight.

If the person resists these blandishments, as they should, then the next step is to have them threatened, discredited or sidelined. This is where the famous marketing statement "No one ever got fired for buying IBM" comes from.

Armed with detailed information about the dynamics and intentions of Government Qantas then builds an action plan of how to influence Government to do its bidding.

Now to the second purpose: Subtle Blackmail. When a decision is required, Qantas simply finds out who will write the Ministers brief, some poor sod fairly far down the food chain in the Department. He gets the in depth briefing from Qantas, probably delivered via multiple meetings in the Qantas Boardroom where he (or she) is spoon fed exactly what Qantas knows will get a favourable response from the Minister, if they are really good, as I am sure they are; they will virtually write the poor sods brief for him so that all he has to do is cut and paste.

The subtle blackmail? A chosen Qantas person casually reminds the poor sod that Qantas knows his boss, his bosses boss, and the entire Department chain of command all the way to the Minister, and they know it intimately right down to the gossip. This is done informally: "I saw the Minister in the Chairmans lounge yesterday", "Is Fred really going to retire next year? Will you apply for his job?", "Did Charlie really do that? I heard.....".

The subtle message conveyed? "If you do us down, we will know about it and will take revenge. Of course if you are a good chap we will whisper that fact in the bosses ear next time a promotion opportunity arises."

It takes nerves of steel and a very high regard for ethics and integrity to resist this marketing strategy - hopefully these qualities still exist in the various Departments.

Had it done to me.

There was never any doubt that the Minister would approve the deal in my opinion. Qantas could have started a Tiger Moth service to New Zealand and received Government applause.

Last edited by Sunfish; 8th Oct 2012 at 21:13.