PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7192 D3
Thread: 7192 D3
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2003, 16:10
no sig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FG

I feel I have exhausted my input to this thread with respect to our debate. There isn’t much more that I can add that I haven’t said before in my previous posts.

I’ve come to the conclusion that your experience of airline ops and mine is sufficiently different that we are probably not going to resolve the issue regarding how much one needs to teach in a foundation knowledge course. But for the benefit of others on this thread, once again, this is the first module and I have agreed we have, in aircraft systems, included more than is strictly necessary. I also assured you that in the next modules we are guarding against that by a more critical review before publication by the airline moderators group.

Regarding supplementary training, I am afraid you seem to be missing my point as well. The simplest analogy I can use is with respect to a pilot. When an airline hires a pilot and puts him through a type conversion there is a natural assumption that that individual has the ‘foundation’ technical knowledge to understand the ‘operating principles’ of his aircraft. He does not go into the classroom to study the principles of aircraft systems, he did that already in his ATPL studies, rather he goes in to study the manufacturer approach to and operation’ of, the systems of that particular aircraft. Likewise, in this course the ops officer is learning about aircraft systems, not, I hasten to add, to ATPL level, but to a generally slimmed down version to doc 7192. Therefore, when our ops officers go to do the Airbus familiarisation course, which is a slimmed down version of the pilot’s Airbus course, they will more readily understand the ‘operation’ of the system on the Airbus.

In your comments regarding the level of knowledge an ops officer is required to have regarding CAP371, I fail to see how an ops officer can do his job without a thorough understanding of his airlines FTL scheme (CAP371). And incidentally, crewing and FTL’s will be covered on this course in the Flight Monitoring section.

This is a distance learning course and has been designed as such, if a student needs help he contacts the college. The course was outlined to UKOMA in a presentation by the college around a year or so ago at which time a working group was formed, it continues as I have explained before.

FG, we’ve both spent a great deal of time on this subject and despite our disagreements regarding the content of the first modules of this course, your input is appreciated and be assured that I will take what you and others have said to the airline moderators. I will ask, via the UKOMA group, for a review of the aircraft systems modules against the course learning objects and for those starting the course at a later date we will have more closely aligned these modules with 7192 in due course.

However, there is now little to be gained by me going over old ground and I'll leave it at that.

DH98

Mosquito

I note your comments regarding the course and would ask you to speak with the college directly, as you clearly feel there is room for improvement then they must know and I have no doubt they will want your input. You have encapsulated a great deal of what I have been trying to say in your last paragraph regarding the credibility gained etc., this is the case in civilian airline ops as well. Be assured that the materials you will study in this course will provide you with the foundation knowledge for a career in civilian airline ops and significantly increase you chances of employment. (see your pprune pvt. messages re doc 7192)

Last edited by no sig; 18th Jan 2003 at 16:31.