PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First job
Thread: First job
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2012, 09:24
Tsym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I strongly advocate heading down the career paths you have mentioned within your post. You are sitting on an expensive license; your knowledge and experience is already valuable to many companies within the industry - so put it to good use and do some invaluable networking at the same time.

I qualified at the tail end of 2009. I spent a season working as Cabin Crew for a well known (and friendly) airline, and then secured a job working within the control centre for a large international airport. This latter job was ops based; everything from aircraft stand planning to emergency response - this was secured off of the back of my working knowledge of aviation from both sides of the flight deck door.

This ops based job gave me a solid understanding into how multi-faceted in the industry is, and put me in a position to network with some very influential people.

I secured a job in the right-hand seat of a medium sized jet at the tail end of last year.

Airlines will ask you what you have been doing since you qualified - they want to see willingness, eagerness and drive to achieve your goal. No one will just offer you a job - so put your licenses/experience to good use and apply yourself to the industry in other ways.

From my own experience, I learnt so much from being cabin crew - it's also the closest thing you will get to working in the environment you so eagerly want. Plus of course you get to sit in on take offs and landings - what a perk!

And if I haven't convinced you enough; I know a good 10-15 friends who worked as cabin crew when they completed their flight training.... Every single one of them is now flying in the right hand seat.

Make your own luck!