PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAA MILITARY AIR SAFETY CONFERENCE
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2012, 08:54
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Tuc has said that far more eloquently than ever I could have done.

The question I was asked in the Coroner's Court by, I think, Mr Stead was:

"Is the Hercules airworthy and fit for purpose?"

I don't think I was wrong to say

"No, it is not."

That this was so was the culmination of many years of degraded MoD airworthiness provision - in turn, caused by a 'skewed safety-culture' at the highest levels of MoD PE, DPA/DLO, DE&S and various IPTLs.
When the leaders take a dim view of safety vs cost, what chance do their subordinates have?

It is because many of those 'leaders' are still about, spreading their poison, that I fear the gargantuan task facing the MAA will be too great for their resources. But although the MAA has made many great strides, I feel that its task would be much easier if it were truly independent from the MoD, had sharper teeth and was prepared to use the latter to maul the architects of this skewed culture. Some of these culture-criminals have many stars and/or a whopping pension - while our friends and comrades take unnecessary and unknown risks with their own lives - and with those of their crews and passengers. Any of these could be your sons and daughters and I know that troubles many here.

Is there any evidence out there that the MAA is being thwarted in its efforts by unwarranted high-level interference or indifference - is the skewed culture extant despite the MAA's efforts?

Are the lower levels still saying

"This is not (functionally) safe!" but the hierarchy then ignores their pleas?

If so, the MAA conference might be the time to stand up and be counted, if it is not to become a back-slapping, self-licking lollipop event.

Last edited by flipster; 8th Oct 2012 at 08:56.