PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2012, 07:01
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lyman
I referenced Attitude, something they never mentioned, and I find that bizarre.
My bad, I misread.

Oh yes, they referenced attitude, just not explicitly pitch. CM1 mentions "Horizon" at 2:12:25 and both CM1 and Captain urge CM1 to "get the wings level" from 2:12:54. First GPWS alert is recorded at 2:14:16.

Possibly, maybe probably. And the crew were to know this exactly....HOW?
It seems we have to dumb down this discussion down to non-pilot level. By crosscheck. There are three independent pitots, feeding three independent displays, two of which can be switched to fourth source (ADC3). If they agree at the realistic value, and 183kt after one zoom climbs from cruise altitude is realistic, it works. If they don't, check that all three AIs agree and fly any of them. When I trained for PPL, pitch and power circuits were part of PPL syllabus and it was not fifty years ago, it was in 1996.

What overwhelmed the crew of AF447 is very similar to (and IMHO probably the same thing) that which wiped the crews of KAL 8509 and Birgenair 301 out of existence. First time they were faced with a bit more serious anomaly in flight was when they first really realized that the air is a dangerous place to be and they had no clue how to get out of their predicaments. As was predicted long time ago:

Originally Posted by capt Roger Kelly, as quoted by Richard Bach, 1970.
The fact that you've got Air Line Transport Pilot written on your license doesn't mean you fly any better. One day these pilots who fly for the money of the job, they're going to lose everything, the cockpit's going to burst or some such thing and they'll be left with a stick and rudder and they won't know how to fly.
Yet they do not reference attitude (NU), only altitude. This to me means they actually did, and the CVR is not released with this data.
Are you accusing BEA of deliberate falsification?

How can they have been silent, hint, they were not.....
Of course they weren't but CVR mostly recorded the utterances consistent with being confused and clueless.

I am not talking FAULT, you misunderstand. And what the instruments display is decidedly NOT recorded. Only that they are functioning...... That is obvious, NO?
They are the instruments that work reliably for thousands of hours and all of a sudden they fail simultaneously, at the exact time airspeed goes unreliable, with bizarre fault that doesn't trigger DU monitoring. Yeah, right. For the record: I wasn't the one that first mentioned "Mad Hatter" in this thread.
Originally Posted by jcjeant
I disagree ...
How come?

Get the French report, go to page 96. If you are struggling with French: blue line is DFDR readout, red line is produced by simulator fed by winds and control inputs from DFDR. Blue and red are match. Magenta is simulator without any input on the stick.

Do you get it?

Bonin and his co-pilot are telling (to Dubois) that they don't understand what happen and they don't control the plane anymore .. and be sure ...they know what it means !
They are right; they didn't control the aeroplane anymore because CM2 has chased it away out of control and CM1 did not stop him! Both were pretty clueless from the start of the event.

Actually they hope that Dubois will save everyone (Robert call him frantically) .....
Airborne equivalent of "Help, daddy, help!". It is tragic that when they realized that flying is no children's play they were left with only minutes to live. Not unprecedented, though.