PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unfamiliar Airport Entry pattern
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2012, 00:07
riverrock83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSR - appologies for my tongue in cheek post.
Interesting that googling didn't bring up any other mentions of a pattern by that name. My very limited understanding is that in the USA there is no standard way to get from circling over the runway (to view airfield information / signals square) to join (via the US standard 45 deg join). Essentially you are supposed to stay outside the traffic pattern (circuit) until you can join at 45 deg (even though technically you can join at any point into the pattern).

I suppose what I don't understand is that you may well end up leaving the ATZ in this procedure and the limited protection that this brings. There is also no obvious call when you are outbound from the overhead. There is also a potential conflict with aircraft taking off, especially if they do a 45 deg turn out in the circuit direction after take off...

The British overhead join means you stay close the airfield (good for engine failures!) and save fuel. You can also maintain visual contact with other aircraft in the circuit (you don't have your back to them). It is also rare for a taking off plane to be at circuit height by the crosswind join point.

Although I couldn't find your pattern name, your description appears to match this website under a different name:
Transitioning to the Pattern

which has this pic: