PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Touchdown Short Of Runway
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2012, 22:30
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything in that accident is all about culture. There was a comment earlier that said, 'You can sort of understand (but not condone it, obviously) when people push it a bit below minima on an ILS...' That comment says everything about culture. If you are in companies like BA, easyJet, Virgin etc there is simply no culture of pushing any limit. I cannot say it has never happened in these companies, but it is the quickest way out of a job you can find. There is an expectation among all FOs that the Captains will stick to the limits and there is no expectation of 'getting the job done' before obeying the rules. If you work for some of the other companies around (and I have done so), there is an expectation of breaking rules 'when it is sensible to do so'. That is again culture - it is either there or it is not. I know that at easyJet, we have sacked people for these 'cultural' breaches - and will continue to do so as and when they occur.

As an aside, to give you a measure of what passed for normality at WindJet, I spoke to one of their former pilots recently, who said that they were always under weight restrictions on their Moscow flights. Apparently it was common to just falsify nominal baggage weights to make the performance fit. Also, when a strike was looming at one stage, during a phone call between the pilot representative and a very senior company Executive, it was mentioned that the pilot representative had a beautiful little daughter who attended such and such a school and would it not be a shame if something terrible happened to her? That folks is the other end of the airline industry and it always ends up with a smoking hole somewhere - a culture of corruption and graft from top to bottom that permeates into the operational practices of the company. You can see from this whole scene that this captain was just doing his normal thing and thereby brought ruin upon his career and nearly killed everyone he was responsible for. Our northern European companies are not great, but in my experience this type of thing is largely absent - long may it continue to be so.