PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How long are your ATPL ground exams valid?
Old 18th Jan 2003, 12:53
Unusual Attitude

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks all for you replies.

Token Bird - At the time I started my ATPLs my intention was to go straight on and do the CPL/IR and then hopefully either instruct for a while or if I was lucky get a job with one of the Turboprop operators in ABZ.

Unfortunately after completing my ATPL's a lot happened, Sept 11 came along and made the chances of a T/P job look very slim.
My financial situation changed due to separating with my ex who took everything and I'd also give up my previous career to study the ATPL's
I also lost my 33 year old Brother which shook me up a lot and took me a while to get over, as you can imagine, flying wasn't at the forefront of my thoughts at that time.

I'm fortunate now however as I've landed a very good job which would allow me to pay for a CPL/IR and FI rating out of my end of year bonus which I get next Feb/March.
Given the fact Id lose my exams however I'd have to then quit my job straight away after getting my bonus and start on training.
This is all well and good but when I finished I'd probably only have 300 hours and perhaps not a very good chance of employment. I'd also have no chance of getting back into my old industry as its a small community and everyone would know I was just working until I got a job flying.

I ended up down and out for a year pursuing this career once already and I'd like to avoid doing it again if possible!!
This is the reason I'd like to keep my current job and instruct part time until I could get a full time flying one but it seems that the CAA make that very difficult.

Ho hum, I knew it was never going to be easy.....!