PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JHAS Keeps 457's over Local workers in new Redundancy round
Old 7th Oct 2012, 07:58
thecurseofskydrol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tone down the us vs them rhetoric on the 457 guys

I understand that the 457 visa issue is complicated and the situation is not good at JHAS, but I believe this us vs them argument put forward by some here is just way too simplistic, and has way to much of a zenophobic tone for me to say nothing.

Ive worked with a lot of these guys at one of these "457" companies that is mentioned, and very few of them were actually on 457's. Most were permanent residents through the skilled migration program. The few on the 457's were well on their way to getting PR. All of them were top guys, who were highly skilled, highly rated knew their stuff. They had families here and were trying to improve their families lives like everyone else.

The problem is, they dont know their rights and how they can improve their situation. Some companies pay under the award for these highly skilled engineers, and as such they dont get the pay and conditions that they should. this ends up undercutting local staff with the guys from overseas being treated like c$&p.

I believe that the union has a stong role to play in getting these guys onboard and letting them know how things can be improved through union protection and enterprise agreements. This would not only protect wages and conditions for Australian workers but also protect the interests of fellow engineers who come here who should enjoy the same rights and conditions as Australian workers.

I believe this to a be a position that exploits the fact that line maintenance will always have to be done here, without the us vs them ugliness postulated previously. It also recognises the globalised reality of aviation in 2012, where highly skilled engineers will always be sought after.