PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LION AIR(Merged 2011 - 12)
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2012, 06:34
cirrus_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lion air advice

Hello all,

this is a thread aimed at all those heading off or planning to join Lion air.

I have had numerous messages asking about the programes, so here is a General Q and A for you all.

1.) Lion air have contacts with 3 companys and do not take direct entry under normal circumstances. these are MSD, Eaglejet & CFA

2.) all 3 contractors are legit and I have personally met with the owners of both Eaglejet and CFA

3.) if you are seriously considering applying for a programe, you need to be sure you are an above average pilot. the type rating on the 737NG is not easy, and you will be placed in a very different environment to what you are used to at your flight schools. pilots that just got through there CPL, MECIR may not make it. flight schools tend to allow you to pass flight tests more and more easily these days and it will do you no favours in the professional world.

4.) GO TO JAKARTA!! even if just for a few days, it will be the best investment you make, Jakarta is very different to the lifestyle you are used to, it is not the safest city in the world and many westerners could potentially be taken advantage of if your not careful. you need to ask yourself, could I stay here for 5 years?

5.) be prepared to work very hard, your Type rating will be very demanding and this is just to get you past your check rides, the actual sim assesments and line checks get harder. you need to have the abilty to work and study hard with litte or no social time.

If you dont you will not make it. I promise you that.

6.) if you are still reading this and feel you can adhere to the above then you have a fantastic oppertunity to get some serious time on the NG

Myths and legends about Lion air

1.) Lion air will soon stop taking P2F pilots - I have personally seen the numbers for CFA and eaglejet and current wait time is around the 6-9 months to get a call up to go to Jakarta, once you are in Jakarta it could be up to 12 months before you start flying the line, it depends on several factors. as of the time of writing I know of no reason why any of these contracts will cease.

2.) if you join Lion air you will never be employed by a major carrier - This is a myth, you will read on here by fellow Ppruners that this is the case, however at the time of writing it will have no affect on future jobs. in other words if the anti P2F pilots makes it to CP they will not employ you which may happen one day. but for now its just hear say

3.) the standards at Lion air are terrible - this is not the case, the standards are very high, and no different to that of any other carriers. Lion air have pilots comming from ICAO states, UK, USA, Australia, Europe and are among some of the best trainined pilots in the world. be prepared to undergo vigerous recurrent training every 6 months.

4.) anyone can walk in to Lion air - if only that were true, it is simply not the case, you need to be above average, the average pilot fresh out of flight school with 200 hours will strugle to even get past the type rating let alone the line checks. of course it is every pilots dream to fly a large passenger operation jet, but the fact of the reality is you need to build up some experince else where before applying to the programe, and if you have the sort of money these programes cost then that should not be a problem. if you think you can "beat the system" I assure you that your mind will be changed after your 1st FFS ride. its not a fun game like flight school was, its serious buisness you have 230 lives at stake and a 33 million dollar aircraft. things need to be done correctly and done well. it was agreed by 2 of the 3 contractots that the majority of 200TT pilots dont make it to Lion air, and around 70% of pilots with 500 - 1000 TT get through and start flying the line.

well there is certainly alot of information to take in, I hope it helps,its an honest and accurate report of goings on at Lion and the 3 contractors that send pilots to Jakarta