PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft engineering / avionics qualifications
Old 18th Jan 2003, 11:01
Geordie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies folks. Genghis - my initial thoughts are more in line with the maintenance side of engineering, i.e. C of A 's, release to service and overhauls of light aircraft engines / airframes, etc, but with the option of further development of my skills to perhaps enable employment by a larger company to work on larger / jet aircraft. I realise there are apprenticeships to be had from (for example) Polar Air, but at 26 I think I'm probably too old for the likes of that.
Light aircraft work does appeal to me and I am aware of a significant shortage of light aircraft engineers / avionics engineers in Scotland (home), however it would be ideal to have the flexibility to do all sorts of work.
Would I be right in saying that if I sat and passed the necessary JAA exams I would be able to carry out work straight away, or is there a minimum no of hours of work required before the granting of licences ? effectively requiring me to be employed by a maintenance organisation to be able to achieve this ?
(I am just off to the CAA website to have a brouse and find answers !)

Thanks again

Geordie