PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Home of Photos in Dunnunda! Mk I
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2012, 21:52
FullOppositeRudder

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
If you have the time and inclination, it's quite a simple procedure to correct those older prints for colour fade. Using photoshop you could also reign in the highlights which appear to be slightly blown.
All of these have been "worked on" on the way you describe. The slides have taken on a slant towards the red / brown end of the spectrum, and I've used various options available in my program (Arcsoft Photo Studio) to lift them as best I can. One other aspect of this is that there are quite a few variables in the perception of correct colours as finally viewed in any given situation, not the least of which will be either the settings or the natural rendering of the end user's monitor or screen. What I see on my screen is probably quite different to how it might be viewed on another. The colour perception of our eyes can also adapt to changes in the overall hue of a given subject, and can give variable or sometimes confusing results.

I'd be interested to know what film these old photos were taken on, looks like a fair bit of slide but perhaps not all of them are?
These were all taken with a Pentina SLR camera and Perutz C-18 slide film. Perutz - a German product if I remember correctly - distributed and processed by Hanimex in Australia, was highly regarded in it's day for colour accuracy and it's 50 ASA speed. However in nearly all instances the original dyes did not stand the test of time and despite careful storage, they have nearly all suffered in this way. There may have been variables in the processing also.

Thank you for your suggestion - it's well received. I've tried, there may indeed be better ways of doing it. In any event there are only one or two more remaining shots in my collection from this location and era.

FOR

Last edited by FullOppositeRudder; 7th Oct 2012 at 01:09.