PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Phantom stories out there?
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2012, 05:23
Abacus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember in the early 80's (can't remember the exact year) I was scheduled to open the Bournemouth International air show, which was part sponsored by the local TV company at the time 'TVS', by launching a banner behind our Grumman Ag-Cat. The banner had a 6 foot square 'TVS' logo with 'weclome to TVS Bournmouth air show' clipped on behind the logo. All this was behind around 100 feet of rope linked to a large loop help open between a pair of launch poles about 10 foot high fairly close to side of the runway, around the mid point. The idea was that the Ag-Cat would do a low pass trailing a grappling hook and put the hook through the launch poles, peeling the banner off the ground and do a circuit and then drop the banner back on the airfield. Normal speed for this would be around 60 Kts.
The 'proper' airshow would then commence!

About half an hour or so before the opening a Phantom was scheduled to land and taxi to the static park.
When the Phantom arrived, he did a very low overshoot (I think intentionally) and turned left to the side of the runway, away from the crowd line, climbing away to position downwind. Very spectacular! Unfortunately.......his left main gear went through the banner tow line loop and peeled the banner beautifully off the ground.....welcoming everybody to the airshow!

Needless to say the banner only lasted about 10 seconds before it disintegrated!
I guess a Phantom Go-Around speed is significantly greater than 60kts!