PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia 737-800 lost by air traffic control for 30 minutes
Old 5th Oct 2012, 23:30
Lookleft

Received 195 Likes on 90 Posts
Sunfish

Actually, by definition, if the aircraft wasn't being controlled by a
controller, it WAS a matter of luck that it didn't hit something or at least
trigger a TCAS RA.
By definition an aircraft is controlled by the flight crew ATC provide instruction and are meant to monitor the progress of the flight. If they give an instruction that is not suitable to the flight crew then the flight crew will ask for an alternative that is suitable. TCAS is a part of the defense layers that make up modern air traffic systems. Its not the primary defense but it is a defense mechanism. Another defense system is lateral separation of the airways to and from Brisbane. The final defense layer is the flight crew who in this instance was the defense layer responsible for resolving the issue. So to say luck was involved suggests that the other layers of defense are insignificant. TCAS has saved the day on quite a few occasions recently in Australian airspace but as I have stated previously

I'm not suggesting that there isn't a problem with the ATC system and it is
not a serious incident, my objection is to the sensationalist reporting that Mr Sandilands engaged in.
If he was going to report the incident objectively he would have included some reference to TCAS and not included

doing something like 850 kilometres an hour, through airspace which includes A380s and 777s as well as a host of airliners of lesser size, any one of which can be destroyed by the inability of a developed country to provide a professional and well managed air traffic control system.
I would expect something less emotional from a journo (yes the same occupation that has generated much scathing comment on this forum) that at least has a blog dedicated to aviation matters.